This is my very favorite waffle recipe EVER. You have to start the batter the night before but they are SO worth it. Mmmm, waffles… (sorry).
2 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbs dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
(Use a large mixing bowl as batter will double in volume)
1. Warm milk and add cut-up butter to melt.
2. Put water in bowl and sprinkle in yeast. Let stand to dissolve (5-ish minutes). (Sprinkle a little sugar into the mixture to feed yeast.)
3. Add yeast mixture to milk, butter, salt, sugar and flour; beat with mixer until smooth. Cover with plastic and refrigerate over night.
4. Just before cooking waffles, beat in eggs and baking soda. Stir until well mixed. Set waffle iron to 5 or 6.
5. Pour ample 1/3 cup batter into each section.
6. Cook until waffles are golden and crisp.
7. Best served with sliced strawberries and creme fraiche, although I usually do canned whipped cream. 🙂
(Recipe courtesy of the Sunflower Hill Inn in Moab, Utah. Go there if you get a chance. It’s gorgeous and the hospitality is marvelous.)