|I adore one-dish meals!|
An extra week at home courtesy of Southwest Flight 812 meant a little more time to cook for myself and Mr. T. And for once, I offer you a healthy and utterly delicious recipe! Oh and did I mention it’s easy and there aren’t 7,000 ingredients? If you need a go-to weeknight chicken recipe, this one’s for you. I adapted it from “Chicken and Egg” by Janice Cole, found here.
NSFD Ranking: *
Chicken with Charred Cauliflower and Peppers
1 head cauliflower, cut into (large) florets
2 large bell peppers, seeded, and cut into 2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
4-12 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-2 teaspoons Essence (creole seasoning)
2 pounds chicken breasts cut into quarters or large chunks
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Line a large baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Toss cauliflower, bell peppers and chicken with oil and lemon juice. Add spices and garlic, toss to coat.
|You could easily make this a vegetarian side dish by omitting chicken and reducing the bake time by 12-ish minutes.|
4. Arrange on baking sheet and cook for 30-40 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and the veggies are tender.
5. Serve with crusty French bread to starving people and watch them smile.
|Pretty fantastic leftovers if I do say so myself.|
- The original recipe calls for separate oiling/seasoning of the veggies and chicken, reserving cumin for the chicken only. After trying both, I like to evenly season the entire dish which also saves a few steps.
- The second time I tried this, I added mushrooms to the mix but neglected to remember they give off a lot of liquid during the cooking process. Consequently, I had less “char” on my veggies and lots of liquid run-off. Next time, I’ll toss the mushrooms to coat with seasoning and grill them separately.
- Although I minced 10 garlic cloves, Mr. T requested whole cloves to be added to the mix next time. He is NOT a vampire in case you were wondering.